Thursday, June 17, 2010

Crazy Things on Motorcycles

It's been raining a lot these past few days so we haven't done anything worth mentioning. I mean, it was raining so hard the other night that the whole neighborhood blacked out. Anyway, what I'm trying to say is if I wrote about my time in Vietnam for the last couple of days...it'd be pretty lame. It'd just be: sleep, shower, eat on the street, crazy food, crazy drivers, heat, TV time, and repeat. Frankly, this post has very low interest potential. As much interest potential "of those pandas down at the zoo who refuse to mate."

Don't fret...we are planning some things to do before we leave next week but, like I mentioned before, we haven't been able to do anything because of the rain. I promise to return to this blog with much more excitement than the excitement in Tim's pants when he sees Michael Yang, Ingram, Mitchell, and Charles combined! That's a lot of excitement...you can just ask him!

However, I thought that it'd be fun to show you guys some of the crazy things that I've seen on the roads of Vietnam. I keep talking about about how crazy it really is but I wanted to give you guys an opportunity to really see what it's all about. First, here is a small video clip of one of my taxi rides. You can just see how crowded it is and how it's every man for himself!



Not only are the roads and traffic nuts but the things that I see the motorcycles here are even crazier! During my whole trip, Tim and I have been documenting the most outrageous things that we've seen on bikes. I'll let you decide what you think is the most absurd. FYI, I've seen lots of people holding babies (not even three months old) in their arms while riding but I don't have any pictures of that because I'm too scared to document that for fear of the parents getting off their bikes and slapping me!


^--Here's a guy that was carrying some trees on the back of his bike.

^--These are huge vases that weigh a freaking ton!


^--This guy just had so much stuff that you could barely see him on the bike!

^--This guy was carrying a 15 foot pole.


^--I don't know if you can really see but there are nothing but ducks and chickens in his baskets!


^--And this guy had nothing but pigs in his baskets.


^--This guy was actually cooking while driving on the street. It's a little blurry but it's the only picture I could take of him cause we were moving so fast!


^--This guy was actually sitting on a bench that was placed on the seat of the bike!


^--And here is the craziest thing that has been on the streets of Vietnam! Ha! Ha! Not really but driving on a motorcycle in Vietnam was my "crazy" thing to do for the last couple of days. It was pretty scary. I thought we were going to get into an accident like...11 times. I also think I swallowed a bug while riding. My uncle took me around to grocery stores. It was pretty cool because you just drive up to these little tents and ask for product (all while staying on your motorcycle). And then he took me to downtown Saigon which was really cool because I got to see the "upscale" side of Vietnam. There were beautiful French buildings and ginormous five star hotels everywhere!

So that's pretty much it for Vietnam so far. I'll leave you with a funny picture. See if you can find my grandma!

No comments:

Post a Comment